Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Vacation Over: Back to Real-life


A few weeks ago I posted about the importance of taking a break from your intense dancing schedule. I’m proud to report that I actually took advantage of my free time and truly rested. Never wore a leotard, never put my hair in a bun, and never slapped on those pointe shoes. Instead, I enjoyed relaxing at the pool, going to concerts, and spending time with my brothers, who I don’t get to see nearly enough.

Ballet on the Beach? I think yes!

Sadly, vacation time is over for me now. Last week I had to come back to real life and the rather unpleasant task of getting back into shape in order to prepare for my company’s tour to Saratoga Springs, New York. As hard as it was for me to calm down and rest, want to know what’s even harder? Going from vacation mode back to working mode! All I want to do is sunbathe and it's been quite difficult to motivate myself to get back into my routine.

Therefore, this post is focused on how to buckle down and get back to work when your heart is still swimming with the dolphins.

  • Take it easy at first: If at all possible, don’t dive right back into your heaviest workload. Overwhelming yourself the minute you return from vacation will make you miserable. Instead, do a little bit more each day to ease yourself back into dancing all the time.
  • Put away the guilt: This goes hand in hand with easing back into things. You might feel guilty for just taking one class or just hitting yoga instead of doing both, but the easiest way to get injured is to go full throttle after doing nothing. Exercise will be a shock to your system so don’t make it worse by doing too much too fast.
  • Regulate yourself: Vacation is a time for indulgence and fun, so no wonder you miss it! But getting back to regulated sleeping, healthy eating, and regular exercise will make you feel more energized and, therefore, okay with being busy again. It’ll all feel manageable if you are well rested and fed.
  • Don’t do all work and no play: Even though you are back to dancing or working full time, it doesn’t mean you can’t come up for air. Take breaks throughout the day, even to just grab a lemonade, so it doesn’t feel like you’re only training. Plan fun things with friends on a free night so you are still enjoying yourself even though you’re not on full vacation mode anymore.
  • Plan another vacation: Nothing will make you more excited then another getaway. That way you can focus on your dancing without being overwhelmed with not knowing when your next break will be. 

I love dancing, and I love that I get to dance for my living, but it doesn’t mean I am immune to the doldrums of work. I’ve been trying these tips this last week and I’ve really been enjoying myself. I feel re-energized to be dancing again and have still been having fun outside of the studio, even though it’s not the beach!

A few weeks ago I was struggling with taking a break. In case you’re wondering, I’ve now found that I’m really good at it, almost too good! Now I’m struggling with going back to work. You must be thinking that the nuthouse is going to pick me up soon! But the fact of the matter is that everyone hates to leave vacation; but if you ease back into your routine, you can transition back into life with little crankiness. I’ve been doing well so far. In fact, I’ve already planned another getaway so I know it’s all going to be okay. Welcome back everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I am going to follow your tips for next week when we start our summer residency at Carolina Ballet. I completely agree with everything here, it just actually doing it! Good luck at Toga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! Thanks! I can't wait to plan a trip! But just remember Toga is a fun time!

    ReplyDelete