1. Dirty Dancing: Two words: Patrick Swayze. Really that is all the incentive you need to see this movie, but if that's not enough for you, here are some more highlights from the 80's flick: It's all about summer, love, dancing, and to top it all off, the main character's name is "Baby." Here's a fun clip where Patrick Swayze is trying to teach Baby how to dance:
You really cannot beat the 80's hair and clothes or Swayze's remarkable teaching skills. I mean she's somehow improved so much in such a short amount of time!
2. Flashdance: Okay, I may be biased since this movie was made in Pittsburgh, which is where I am from, but I think this movie is fantastic. Alex's true love is ballet, but her real job is as a construction worker, welding and building with the grungy dudes of Pittsburgh. Possibly my next career? Probably not but, hey, she makes it look so fun maybe I'll keep my options open. Another 80's gem, you really can't miss Flashdance or this famous scene:
Quite possibly the most random, yet awesome workout of all time. Not to mention her outfit represents the 80's in all their glory!
3. The Turning Point: Going back to the 70's for this one. Starring Shirley MacLaine and Anne Bancroft as retired ballerinas who, in their heyday, used to be best friends and rivals. It's a great glimpse into the ballet world as MacLaine's daughter is now trying to make it as a ballerina in New York. Drama and hilarity ensue as all three women try to navigate through the dance world and old feelings. I couldn't find my favorite scene from this movie, but just know that you won't be disappointed, especially when Mikail Baryshnikov and Alexandra Danilova make appearances. It's so fun!
4. Singin' in the Rain: From 1952, starring none other than Gene Kelly. Kelly is a silent film actor who is trying to make the transition to sound through making a musical. Nothing better than watching him dance around the screen with Debbie Reynolds as they fall in love. There's a great scene where he tap dances in the rain (hence the name of the movie) Check it out:
5. Center Stage: I think every ballet dancer from the 21st century has seen or heard of this movie. Although overly dramatic, this attempt to document the daily life and struggles of ballet dancers today actually succeeds. It's full of memorable one-liners that you will love to quote with your friends. We do it all the time in the company and it always gives a good laugh, especially since some of the dancers were actually in the movie!
After looking at these great scenes, all I want to do is watch all these movies too! These are just my top five dance movies though. There are countless more great ones. Honorable mentions would have to go to Fame, Footloose, and The Red Shoes, so if you have the time watch those too! One dance movie I don't recommend seeing though is Black Swan. It is a frightening exaggeration of the ballet world that could downright give you nightmares, so I'd say skip it, or save it until Halloween!
I hope you all can stay cool this weekend. Have fun!
Yes! Dance movies! Did you know Martin Scorsese counts "The Red Shoes" amongst his top ten favorite films of all time?
ReplyDeleteThat's really cool Gwyneth! Scorsese obviously is a smart man if he includes "The Red Shoes" in the top ten!
DeleteYou nailed it Emily! Love Love Love Dirty Dancing!!
ReplyDeleteThese are awesome movies. I have seen them all. Dancing in filmed has evolved into so many genres.
ReplyDelete