Friday, July 12, 2013

A Fellow Dancer's Journey

Today I wanted to share with you a blog written by a fellow professional ballet dancer, Shelby Elsbree, that eloquently takes us through all aspects of the life of a dancer. Although Shelby went to the same ballet school in New York as I did, she was a few years above me so unfortunately our paths never crossed. Shelby was a dancer with the prestigious Royal Danish Ballet and is now a member of the equally prestigious Boston Ballet. I've enjoyed reading her blog and following her journey through the dance world as it compares and contrasts with my own. Shelby is adventurous and creative, and her posts are full of exciting experiences and whimsical meals that would make Alice in Wonderland swoon. 


Shelby in Serenade 
Photo Credit:David Amzallag
Called Tutus and Tea, her blog is a glimpse into the daily life of a professional ballet dancer as she rehearses, performs, and explores the great offerings of her cities. The personable way Shelby describes her life really makes you feel like you're a part of it with her and excites me about my own journeys in the dance world.

Tutus and Tea isn't just about dance though. She's a total foodie and the recipes and meals she posts about are always unique and delicious. Recently she posted about green juice and all the perks and varieties of this nutrient rich drink. I already love green juice mixes, but her vivid photography made those ingredients look like something altogether new! (Oh yeah, on top of being a great dancer, food enthusiast, and writer, she takes beautiful photographs!) 


Today I was checking out her blog and saw a new post, partly about her recent time in London with Boston Ballet, but mostly about her long-term relationship with George Balanchine's masterpiece Serenade. Being one of my own favorite ballets, I was immediately excited to see Shelby's beautiful photographs of her experiences with the ballet all the way back from when she was a student at The School of American Ballet. I haven't been fortunate enough to dance this ballet yet, but as I watched the New York City Ballet perform it last night, I couldn't help but be awed by the genius of Balanchine and hope one day I will get to perform it too. I'm crossing my fingers! 


NYCB in Symphony in 3 Movements
Photo Credit: Sebastien Marcovici
Shelby also included some moments from Balanchine's Symphony in 3 Movements, which is a ballet that I have performed many times myself. Another one of my favorites because we get to wear high ponytails that bounce around the whole time! It's such a dynamic and dramatic ballet that the audience always loves no matter what part of the world we're in. I've performed it in the States as well as in a few cities in Germany, where they loved it too, even with the dark World War II influences in the score and choreography.

Shelby's thoughts and photographs of Balanchine's works really highlight everything that's beautiful and iconic about him and his choreography. The way she describes his ballets and portrays them in the photos captures how I feel about dancing his work. Nothing makes you feel more beautiful, challenged, and fulfilled than a Balanchine masterpiece does, and I love reliving those satisfying moments through her blog. 


Overall, Shelby's blog is a great glimpse into the daily life and trials of a professional dancer. She beautifully describes and photographs all the small moments that make us the people and dancers we are. I've been loving following her journey, and can't wait to see what's next.


2 comments:

  1. Yes, I love following Shelby's blog too. I love the layout and her content. Having been in her class in school, her blog is a great way to keep me up-to-date on what she is up to. It is great of you to give her blog a shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the experience. It was truly informative. I enjoyed every minute of it. I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete