Every time I write a post, I obviously look back to the
various experiences from my own dance life so I can remember how I felt, what I
did, and what I wish I had done better in order to help you as much as possible. A lot of the experiences that I share with you focus on the
hard parts of the dance world and how to get through the tough times, but
that’s just because I don’t think many of you need advice when you are happy or
succeeding in your dancing. But in case the darker tones of some of my posts make you
question the rewards of the dance world, today I wanted to share one of the
many good stories and experiences I’ve had that I wouldn't trade for anything. In fact,
this is one of my favorite times in my life to relive so I’m excited to share
it with you all. This is about the week that my life changed completely.
| My partner Silas Farley from the Student Choreographic Workshop |
I was seventeen and had just started my third and final year
at The School of American Ballet. Even though we were hardly three weeks into
the year, it was already exciting. I had choreographed a ballet on my two best
friends and danced in a ballet with another dear friend for SAB’s Student
Choreographic Workshop. The day after those performances finished, I, along with
most of my friends, was chosen to be a part of the New York Choreographic
Institute’s 10th Anniversary performance. At SAB, you don’t get to
perform much since the focus is on polishing your technique, so to be able to
perform two separate shows within the first month of the year was beyond
exciting. It gave us all a confidence that livened up our dancing, and it made us
closer with one another as we focused on enjoying dancing together instead of
competing with one another.
Rehearsals for the NYCI were long and grueling, but we were
having so much being a part of something special that it didn’t matter. After rehearsals
ended each night, my two best friends and I would go upstairs to the dorms, where we
all lived together, to talk and laugh, usually until the wee hours of the morning.
(Shh! Don’t tell my RA)
| Obviously, completely focused for our performance! |
Call it youth, but somehow we
were never really affected by the lack of sleep as we continued this routine
for most of the fall, never questioning if we should go to bed. There was
something about that time in my life where I felt pretty unstoppable. Spending
every waking moment with your friends: living, dancing, talking, and laughing gives
you an unbeatable support system. It makes you feel like you can do anything
because you know they have your back.
We all clung to this amazing support and on one Thursday
night at the end of October, we, as usual, stayed up all night talking, but
this time about our fears of not succeeding in our lifelong dreams of becoming
members of the New York City Ballet together. Even though we had diligently trained at the
school, worked so hard, and literally did everything that was ever asked of us, the
dream still seemed so out of reach and intangible. I remember having a small
panic attack at the realization that this life and these friendships wouldn’t
last forever, and we wouldn’t always be able to be around for one another if we didn't all get into the company.
The next morning we dragged ourselves to class, knowing full
well we were going to dance horribly from exhaustion. All through class the
fear of my happiness and security ending nagged at me and I couldn’t focus at
all. After class, I was sitting in the studio remarking at how tired and
disheveled I both looked and felt, when our director’s assistant came in to
tell me that Kay Mazzo, our director, wanted to speak with me in fifteen
minutes.
Immediately I thought I was in trouble. I mean I had had a
terrible class and looked like death. I assumed she wanted to yell at me for
not taking this year seriously enough, and I immediately started coming up with
excuses and apologies to save myself. Fifteen minutes never went by so slowly
as when I was sitting there outside her office awaiting my scolding.
About one minute before my scheduled meeting, a fellow
classmate walked up to me saying she had a meeting too. Then Peter Martins, the
Ballet Master in Chief of the New York City Ballet, walked into Kay’s office
and told us to follow. Inside the office were all of my teachers waiting for
us, staring at us in silence. Stupidly enough, the only thought in my head was
how I wished that I was not wearing sweatpants and a sweatshirt I felt like I showed up in my pajamas to the most important day in my life!
Finally, after what felt like hours, Peter spoke and said that
he wanted us to become apprentices with the New York City Ballet starting
Tuesday. I was speechless, which I guess forced him to ask, “Do you want to be
an apprentice?”
| With Meaghan pre-dancing my ballet |
“Um, yes of course!” was my response, and I was then
congratulated and hugged by all the people that had prepared me for this day.
It was really a remarkable moment when all the teachers that had invested their time, day in and day out, correcting you and teaching you, to get to watch you succeed and
start a new chapter of your life. I was about to become a professional dancer
with the New York City Ballet, and I immediately got to thank everyone who
helped me achieve it. That was pretty amazing.
Immediately after the meeting, I ran to find my friend Meaghan
to tell her the good news. My other friend was in the men’s class but I
couldn’t wait so I actually stuck my head into the studio (something taboo in
ballet class) to tell him the news. When he came out we all remarked about how
weirdly coincidental this was to what we were just freaking out about a few hours
before. My one friend said, “Well you held up your
end of the deal, now it’s just up to Meaghan and I to not screw it up!”
| Bringing Toy Story to life |
That weekend was filled with congratulatory events as well
as Halloween where we all had a blast dressing up as Toy Story. In some ways it
was the perfect way to say goodbye being a student and my old life—by dressing
up like a child one last time! I started that Tuesday with the New York City
Ballet and dove right into the brunt of Nutcracker rehearsals, company class,
and the life of a professional dancer. Two days later I turned eighteen and
couldn’t have asked for a better present than the security of a livelong dream
being fulfilled.
At the dormitory, turning eighteen also meant no more rules
or curfew, which meant I was free to live my life as I pleased in New York City
like an actual adult. In one week, I had gone from a student fearing the future
and bound to rules restricting my every move, to a professional dancer with all
of those fears relinquished as I freely embarked on what would become my new
life.
In case you’re wondering, both of my friends got into the
New York City Ballet at the end of that year. Despite all of our talking of
losing our friendships and lives changing, none of it really has. Of course, friendships do change over time, but we are all
still extremely close, love dancing together and hang out as often as possible.
In fact, we all live within four blocks of one another! The endless support
that we felt back then has stayed too, as I can still depend on them for
anything, even just to watch in the wings when I perform to calm my nerves.
| Meaghan and I committing to our characters |
The dance world can be really stressful and confusing, and
this time in my life was no different. But regardless of the worry, it was one
of my favorite times and experiences that would have never happened if I wasn’t
a dancer. I would never know the two people I consider my best friends if I had
let the trials of the dance world break me down or make me quit. This story documents a time in
my life when everything fell into place despite my overwhelming panic about it.
I love looking back on that night and remembering how happy we all were and
smiling at how dramatic and irrational our fears of losing it all were. This
week was the start of the life I live today, and I couldn’t ask for a more
memorable beginning!
Such a great Story!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures. Fabulous.
ReplyDeleteYAY!! Such an exciting and important change in your life. It's when all of our dreams of being dancers turn into reality!
ReplyDelete