Today I want to tell you about cross training and why it’s
important to exercise in addition to dancing. Dance definitely keeps you in good shape, but it does only strengthen the muscles needed for the steps. You have the potential to be a stronger and more stable dancer, and generally a more
physically fit person, if you just start to integrate other exercise routines into
your schedule. Just be careful to choose an exercise regimen that creates lean, flexible muscles instead of bulky ones. Some dancers prefer yoga, swimming, or Gyrotonics,
but today I want to focus on the benefits of the Pilates Method.
Many people who have started Pilates have noticed an
increase in range of motion, flexibility, circulation, posture, and abdominal
strength. What’s more important in dance than a strong supportive core? With a
strong core you lessen the stress on your lower back and allow your arms and
legs to move more freely while still feeling stable, or “on your leg” as we
dancers say. Being a tall dancer myself, I’m 5’10”, I used to be more similar
to Bambi than a ballerina, but Pilates has strengthened and coordinated my long
limbs so that I can actually hold myself up and control my dancing.
![]() |
| Just doing some "Cadillac" Pilates |
What I find cool about the Pilates Method is that through
the many exercises you can see where your weaknesses lie. You’ll start shaking
during an exercise and immediately know that it's one of your weak spots so, then, you
can focus on strengthening it more.
I’m generally a flexible person, but Pilates has made all
of my muscles more limber and it keeps my back from tightening up from too many
arabesques. After I go to a Pilates session, I immediately feel like my whole
body is back in place—like all my gears are functioning properly again!
![]() |
| Working their butts on the "Reformer" |
Even while you’re injured, you can do Pilates to keep
strength while resting your injured body part. When I hurt my foot, I did a lot of Pilates to keep my body strong and strengthen my right leg, since weakness in
that leg was the reason I got injured in the first place. I just modified my
exercises to alleviate any pressure or weight on my foot.
Important note about Pilates: Make sure you practice with a
certified Pilates’ teacher so that you don’t hurt yourself on the foreign machines. Also, I always work harder when someone is there to keep me
motivated or to yell at me when I get lazy!
This post just focuses on Pilates, which may not be for you,
but no matter what cross training regimen you decide, focus on a training that
works your body differently than your dancing. If you are a ballet dancer working in
turn-out, try something that strengthens your turn-in, or if your upper body is
neglected in your dancing, try swimming or light weight-training to build it up more. No matter
what you decide to do though, I promise you will notice the effects of cross training in your improved
stability and strength as you dance!


No comments:
Post a Comment